Dental hygienists in the state of Maine are required to get an associate’s degree or similar education from one of the dental hygienist schools in Maine. The typical time for completion of a dental hygienist program is around two years for an associate’s degree, and around one year for a certificate program. More advanced programs last longer, but higher education can lead to increased job opportunities.
See what Maine dental hygienist schools are available near you.
Dental Hygienist Schools in Maine (ME)
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
About Dental Hygienist Careers in Maine
Dental hygienists have a unique job opportunity. They can truly make a difference in a person’s life. Many times the dental hygienist can show a patient how to practice better dental care habits. This change in dental habits can have a profound impact on dental health. Dental health can be improved, and adults and children can both benefit from a good dental hygienist. Cavity prevention is the major goal for all dental hygienists. These professionals apply cavity sealants and fluoride treatments to the teeth. Sealants can last for a long time, and they can prevent many cavities.
The dental hygienist also works closely with the dentist. X-rays are generally taken by the dental hygienist. Also, dental hygienist often assist with major dental procedures. States allow dental hygienist the freedom to perform more advanced tasks. Some states allow dental hygienists to dispense anesthetics to the patient. This includes laughing gas. Dental hygienists must use protective gear to prevent contamination. Sterile environments are important to proper dental care. Blood and bodily fluids have to be dealt with carefully; thus, the dental hygienist must abide by sterile dental care guidelines.
Dental Hygienist Salaries in Maine
The dental hygienist can make an exceptional living with a short training period. For example, an average dental hygienist in Maine earns $70,050. Salaries can vary depending on experience and education.
Jobs are available in dental hygiene. In fact, more jobs are expected to become available. Growing numbers of senior Americans will demand more dental hygiene services. Many older people have taken good care of their teeth. As a consequence, they need preventative care services. The next decade should be a time of extreme growth. Unemployment will be considerably low in this field.
Figures courtesy of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Employment & Wages database.