The education of a licensed New York City dental hygienist starts by enrolling ion one of the dental hygienist schools in NYC. These entry level programs can be for a certificate, associate degree, or bachelor’s degree. A hygienist who already has a certificate or associate degree can enter a degree completion program. There are also master’s degrees available for those wanting to enter education, research, or administration.
See the list of NYC dental hygienist schools below to see what programs are available.
Dental Hygienist Schools in New York, NY
Welcome to FORTIS
At FORTIS, students are provided the skills and training needed to enter careers in industries that have employment opportunity over time. What industries you ask? FORTIS offers career education and training programs in the nursing, healthcare, medical, dental, business, information technology, skilled trades, massage and cosmetology career fields. That makes Fortis a post-secondary network of colleges and institutes with a wide variety of educational choices!
FORTIS provides education and training for qualified applicants with the desire to better their career opportunities regardless of previous educational background. Now with forty FORTIS campus locations across the country in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Virginia, more students have the opportunity to experience the FORTIS Difference!
Saint Paul's School of Nursing
Are you ready for an exciting new career in nursing or healthcare?
St. Paul’s School of Nursing can teach you the skills you need to succeed in the growing fields of nursing, medical assisting, or dental assisting.
- St. Paul’s School of Nursing is an accredited nursing school with convenient locations in Queens and Staten Island, New York City.
- We provide a comprehensive, thorough nursing education. Obtain your Associate Degree in Nursing at St. Paul’s and prepare to become a Registered Nurse (RN).
- A nursing career offers tremendous flexibility because nurses can relocate anywhere in the country and can work flexible schedules either full or part time.
- Employment prospects for nurses are expected to continue to expand for the foreseeable future because of the national shortage of RNs, the increased emphasis on preventive care and demand for healthcare services required by our aging baby-boom population.
Keiser University eCampus Online
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
From admissions to faculty, our staff is dedicated to student care:
- One-class-at-a-time scheduling. Instead of juggling multiple assignments and exams, take one class for four weeks before moving on.
- Small classes with accessible staff and faculty that foster a student-centered learning community
- State-of-the-practice online classroom technology and user-friendly format to enhance learning
- Extensive online resources that include information and access to all student services
- Financial aid and scholarships are available for those who qualify
- Military friendly. Keiser University offers scholarships to qualified veterans, active-duty military personnel and their dependents. Keiser is a Yellow Ribbon Program participant and is approved for veterans training.
Keiser is one of Florida’s largest independent universities and a valued choice for career-motivated students. Keiser University Online offers degrees in fields that are in demand and provides job placement assistance to its students and alumni. We research trends for growing fields and tailor our curriculum to prepare students for entry and advancement to rewarding careers.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
Keiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Keiser University.
About Dental Hygienist Careers in New York City
Dental hygienists are responsible for the protection and treatment of teeth and gums from oral infections. They use X-rays and the patient’s medical history to ascertain any problems such as oral cancer or gum disease. Hygienists also clean teeth by scraping away plaque or tarter from the gum line. They also advise patients on ways to improve their oral health.
Hygienists work in different locations. They are found in dentists offices, hospitals, schools, and clinics.
Dental hygienists can also work in administrative positions outside of clinical roles.
A dental hygienist in the New York City area can make an annual dental hygienist salary of around 50,000 to 100,000 dollars a year.
The demand for hygienists is increasing in demand. It is one of the faster growing jobs in the United States. Dental hygienists are increasingly taking on more of the duties dentists once handled. The dentists themselves are focusing on the more complex tasks and procedures required.
Dental hygienist coursework involves the study of areas such as chemistry, biochemistry, and anatomy. This is before entering the more specialized dental hygiene courses. The programs also involve a number of supervised clinical hours, as well as curriculum study. Enrollment in these programs is very limited.
After completing an accredited program, a graduate has to obtain a license. Both a national and state examination must be taken. Once both are passed, the graduate can go to the state licensing authority for any additional items needed before practicing.