The education of a licensed New York City dental hygienist starts by enrolling ion one of the dental hygienist schools in NYC. These entry level programs can be for a certificate, associate degree, or bachelor’s degree. A hygienist who already has a certificate or associate degree can enter a degree completion program. There are also master’s degrees available for those wanting to enter education, research, or administration.
See the list of NYC dental hygienist schools below to see what programs are available.
Dental Hygienist Schools in New York, NY
Welcome to FORTIS
At FORTIS, students are provided the skills and training needed to enter careers in industries that have employment opportunity over time. What industries you ask? FORTIS offers career education and training programs in the nursing, healthcare, medical, dental, business, information technology, skilled trades, massage and cosmetology career fields. That makes Fortis a post-secondary network of colleges and institutes with a wide variety of educational choices!
FORTIS provides education and training for qualified applicants with the desire to better their career opportunities regardless of previous educational background. Now with forty FORTIS campus locations across the country in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Virginia, more students have the opportunity to experience the FORTIS Difference!
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
About Dental Hygienist Careers in New York City
Dental hygienists are responsible for the protection and treatment of teeth and gums from oral infections. They use X-rays and the patient’s medical history to ascertain any problems such as oral cancer or gum disease. Hygienists also clean teeth by scraping away plaque or tarter from the gum line. They also advise patients on ways to improve their oral health.
Hygienists work in different locations. They are found in dentists offices, hospitals, schools, and clinics.
Dental hygienists can also work in administrative positions outside of clinical roles.
A dental hygienist in the New York City area can make an annual dental hygienist salary of around 50,000 to 100,000 dollars a year.
The demand for hygienists is increasing in demand. It is one of the faster growing jobs in the United States. Dental hygienists are increasingly taking on more of the duties dentists once handled. The dentists themselves are focusing on the more complex tasks and procedures required.
Dental hygienist coursework involves the study of areas such as chemistry, biochemistry, and anatomy. This is before entering the more specialized dental hygiene courses. The programs also involve a number of supervised clinical hours, as well as curriculum study. Enrollment in these programs is very limited.
After completing an accredited program, a graduate has to obtain a license. Both a national and state examination must be taken. Once both are passed, the graduate can go to the state licensing authority for any additional items needed before practicing.