Dental hygienist schools in South Dakota prepare students to become professional dental hygienists by offering certificate and degree programs covering the basic job skills and education needed for the career. South Dakota dental hygienist schools can take between one and two years depending on the degree sought. See what dental hygienist schools in South Dakota are available below.
Dental Hygienist Schools in South Dakota (SD)
Penn Foster Career School
Career Diplomas and Certificates Your Time and Online.
Want a better job? Looking for a new career? Thinking about starting your own business? Today’s students often don’t have time to attend regularly scheduled classes, but through online education. Penn Foster Career School, one of the world’s largest regionally accredited distance learning career schools, has educated millions of adults through their study-at-home programs.
When students complete their program they are awarded a Career Diploma. Penn Foster Career School offers Career Diplomas in a wide variety of high-demand career fields, particularly in the areas of: business, technology, engineering, health services, education, and the trades.
Career Diploma programs have gained in popularity because they contain a large amount of relevant, real-word applicable information that can be learned in a flexible format. Career Diplomas are ideal for people who are interested in changing careers, but can’t take time away from their current job or family obligations.
Why Many Students Choose Penn Foster Career School for Their Training:
- Materials are available as soon as your enrollment is accepted.
- Students have the flexibility to study online… at a pace that’s right for them.
- There are no classes to attend because students complete all of their studies from the comfort and convenience of their own home.
- Penn Foster offers over 50 Career Diploma programs in some of today’s most in-demand career fields.
- Friendly and helpful support from expert instructors dedicated to each student’s success is just a phone call or an email away.
- We have an extensive online community where students can interact with fellow students, faculty, and alumni. Students can also participate in the hundreds of blogs and academic groups.
- Web access to learning and student services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Penn Foster Career School’s tuition is among the lowest of all accredited career schools. They offer 0% interest and customized monthly payment plans.
- Books, study guides, learning aids, and instructor support are all included in the student’s tuition.
- Students and graduates have immediate access to Penn Foster Career Services, which include resume writing, interviewing tips, job search techniques, and more.
- Students can earn a Career Diploma in a matter of months.
Penn Foster Career School is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Penn Foster Career School is regionally accredited by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Penn Foster Career School has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
What is a Dental Hygienist?
Dental hygienists in South Dakota are health care professionals who have graduated from accredited training institutions and successfully completed national written, oral and practical exams to be become fully licensed.
Most people agree that going to the dentist is one of the last things that they would choose to do. Although that is a fairly universal sentiment, it used to be far worse. Having the benefit of skilled and highly trained dental hygienists has had a tremendous impact on the health of dental practice patients.
Unlike the dentist, whose role has always been to treat and correct problem areas, the dental hygienist is charged with the mission of preventing those problems from ever occurring in the first place. Providing clients with thorough cleaning and instruction on how to properly take care of their oral hygiene at home results in there being far fewer cavities and significantly reduces the incidence of gum disease.
Clients who religiously keep their semi-annual cleaning appointments and follow the hygienist’s guidance are rewarded with their interactions with the dentist being relegated to nothing more than a check-up.
Requirements for Becoming a Dental Hygienist
The population continues to grow and the demand for dental hygienists is greater than ever before. Currently, this has resulted in competition for the available openings in schools and training programs. Unfortunately, not every qualified applicant is being admitted.
Advisers recommend that potential candidates start early in their educational process to make sure they have as good a chance as possible. Most programs require a high school diploma or GED with a “C” average at the minimum. Transcripts should indicate classes in biology, chemistry, math and English. Having college level credits in chemistry, English, sociology, psychology and speech will be an asset, if not actually required.
Rewards of Being a Dental Hygienist
As a dental hygienist, you will have the opportunity to be a respected professional in a highly rewarding field. In addition, you will have the satisfaction of performing a service for your clients that will have a great impact on their health and quality of life.
According to figures provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average median salary for dental hygienists in the state of South Dakota is just over $67,000 per year. Individual wages will, of course, vary per individual, depending on level of education, amount of experience and length of service in a particular position.